Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Delicious ideas for zucchini!

Hi Everyone!  I am so sorry it has been so long since I have been on.  So much has happened and so many new recipes have been tried.  With this post, I want to play some “catch-up”!  Ok, so first, I have lost about 6 pounds in a little less than 3 weeks.  It could be more, but I have been going to the gym and may have gained some muscle weight.  I am trying so hard to keep it up!  I have to confess, I am not a big fan of working out, but I am a HUGE fan of losing weight!

Now on to my favorite topic....new healthy recipes!  So, a friend and fellow blogger, Roni Mayes (visit her blog at http://lastjobonearth.blogspot.com/), asked for a zucchini recipe.  Well, since zucchini is one of my favorite things to cook…I have more than one!  I even have sweets you can incorporate it in to.  Not only is zucchini delicious and easy to cook, it is rich in Vitamins A & C, and also a good source of Potassium.  It is about 95% water and low in calories, so a good choice for us healthy people!  It is very versatile and can be eaten raw or cooked!

The easiest way to cook zucchini is to slice it and grill it.  You can slice it the long way or in “rounds” about ¼ to ½ in thick.  I leave the skin on.  Then brush with some olive oil on each side and sprinkle it with the spices of your choice.  I like garlic powder, onion powder, and some salt & pepper.  They do not take long to cook, so pay attention to them when you grill them.

Another great way to enjoy it, is to shred it with a cheese grater (I use the larger size grate) and put it in eggs.  Shred the zucchini into a colander.  Let it drain for a little while, patting with paper towels.  Then sauté it in a frying pan in a little olive oil.  It depends how much eggs you are making for the next step.  I am usually making a frittata, so I at this point I would spread the zucchini evenly in the pan and pour in about 8 eggs that I just whisked in a bowl with some milk.  Then let it partially set and if you want, add some cheese (shredded mozzarella is my favorite).  Then bake for about 10 minutes (or until fully set) in the oven at 400 degrees F. 

There are some sweets you can make too…that are healthy.  I just made a zucchini avocado muffin. Not only do you substitute some of the oil for avocado, you can get the zucchini too. They were also made with whole-wheat flour!  Here is the recipe: 


Here are some other recipes that I tried and approve of:

I hope that you enjoy these recipes.  If you need me to find more....please feel free to make a request!





No comments:

Post a Comment