Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A delicious way to serve cod...and quinoa!

Before I post my main topic for the night, I wanted to share my dinner.  There are a lot of people out there that are not crazy about fish.  I love making cod as it is an easy fish to make and not very "fishy".  It is very versatile and goes well in any recipe that calls for a white fish.  My new favorite way to cook it has been to broil for about 5 minutes on each side, and then pair it with a dill sauce.  

Tonight I had broiled cod with dill sauce, sauteed kale, and a brown rice quinoa blend.  I hope that you didn't make a face when I said "brown rice"! haha

So here's the recipe:

Broiled Cod:
  • 1.5 pounds cod
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs (or regular if you can't find wheat)
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
  • 2 Tbsp ground flax seed (optional)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 Tbsp milk
  • DILL SAUCE: 
    • 1/2 cup greek yogurt (or sour cream)
    • 2 Tbsp mayo (preferably Hellman's with olive oil)
    • 1 tsp dry dill (or to taste)
    • 1-2 Tbsp lemon juice (depending on your thickness preference)
    • 1-2 Tbsp milk (depending on your thickness preference)
    • 1 tsp each of garlic & onion powder
    • 1 tsp dijon mustard (optional)
Directions:
  1. Preheat the broiler.  Spray a broiler pan with non-stick spray.
  2. Blend milk and eggs in a bowl.  In another bowl mix all the remaining ingredients, except for the fish.
  3. Dip the fish in the eggs, and then coat with the breadcrumb mixture.  Lay the fish on the broiler pan rack, and spray with some non-stick spray.  
  4. Broil for about 5 minutes or until fish is lightly brown and starting to flake.  Remove from oven and flip over fish.  Broil for another 5-7 minutes.
  5. DILL SAUCE: mix all ingredients together with a whisk and chill while the fish is cooking.
I just saute the kale leaves (remove most stems) with some olive oil, garlic, chicken stock, and white wine in my wok.


The quinoa blend was a frozen mix from Whole Foods.  If you have never had quinoa, it is delicious.  It is a whole food and good for gluten free diets.  The dry (not frozen) cooks pretty much like rice.  I will be posting an article about this amazing food.  Sorry my final plate is not all that pretty!  I forgot to take a pic before starting to eat! 








No comments:

Post a Comment